Thursday, March 22, 2012

Author Lucy Swing: The High School Years

Now Presenting:   

Author, designer, mother, and all-out upbeat woman, Lucy Swing, came soaring onto the YA paranormal scene this month with debut novel: Feathermore.

Enter to win a signed copy and beautiful feather pendant below.
But first, Lucy shares a glimpse of her high school years in Mar del Plata, Argentina, and how she draws on those experiences in her writing.

Where did you attend high school?

I was born and raised in Argentina in a city named Mar del Plata. (It would be the equal to Miami, minus the warm weather. Brrr). My high school was Holy Trinity College. It was a trilingual school, which means our morning classes were all in English, our afternoon classes in Spanish and twice a week we had French. No, I did not learn a single thing in French.

How is Brushwood High (in Feathermore) similar to your high school experience?

At first I was going to make it exactly like my high school, but then, a lot of things weren’t going to work out and readers might get confused. The description of the physical appearance is spot on though. Here are a few pictures of my school/ mansion.
Now, before, when I went there, there were rocks leading to the front door and the rest was all garden/grass. It looked much better than it does now, unfortunately.
This is what was added to accommodate ALL of our students. You can’t really see it, but it’s actually three floors there. On ground level there are small windows.
What clubs/activities were you involved in?

Schools in Argentina are different. Way different. For instance, classrooms where assigned per grade, so you were in the same classroom for the whole year, not like here that each period is in a different classroom. Also, we didn’t have activities to sign up for that were elective. No, not at all. Thursdays, for example, was sports day. So that meant we had swimming, field hockey for girls/ rugby for boys, and did all the stuff you see at the Olympic games. We also had Volleyball after school and regular PE after school. Plays and choir, required too. You had no choice. In my opinion it is much better than in the US, in the sense kids HAD to be active, hence, less obesity and lazy kids.

How many boys did you go out with? : )

I was dubbed “La novia de America”, which means “America’s girlfriend” as in, I had a different boyfriend every week. What can I say? My attention span was very limited and I got tired of boys quite fast. Let me note, though, my first was my husband. I may have given kisses for free, but that is about as much as I gave.

What was your favorite class? Least favorite?

My favorite class… Probably English and/or literature. Least favorite? Chemistry… and it still is!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

As a child I went through teacher, veterinarian, lawyer… when I was in my teenage years, I didn’t have a clue. Though my best friend and I spent every single weekend doing choreography and singing the Spice Girls songs. What can I say? They were popular down there… I always, secretly, wished I would become a pop star, little did I know I actually needed a good voice… *sad eyes*

Were you a good student or a trouble maker? Explain.

I was definitely NOT a good student, nor was I a trouble maker. I didn’t study, there was something in me that just wasn’t built for that. I didn’t do terrible either, but school just wasn’t for me. Now, when I went to college here to do my nursing pre-requisites, I applied myself and was an A student, but only because I HAD to.

If you could travel back in time and offer Lucy Swing, the teen, one piece of advice, what would it be?

Be strong and enjoy these years. I often look back and miss them, no matter how miserable they were, how bullied I got, life goes by too fast… Sometimes I wished I could do it all over again, this time being stronger and not letting people bring me down. I would enjoy myself and savor every second of it.

As an adult, how do you keep current on the teen experience? (Certain books, movies, etc. you read/watch to stay in tuned to teenagers today.)

I read a lot, that’s for sure! My genre is YA and so I stay in touch with teenagers that way. I also try to tap into my memories, which sometimes seem so distant. I think the feelings of teenagers don’t change, it is just the experiences that do. Kids now a day’s scare the living crap out of me. I used to think I was going to be the cool mom; I would take them to parties, etc… NO WAY! On the contraire, I think I will be the psycho that doesn’t let them go anywhere. Sorry kids!

Nikki, it has been a pleasure being here today and I had a LOT of fun with this questions! I definitely feel closer to teen-me than ever before!


SUMMARY

Jade, like any other student at Brushwood High, awaits the start of the school year with a certain measure of dread. Worse, she is being threatened by a voice that only she can hear—a voice that lurks at the edges of her awareness, haunting her and warning her of something unknown. She has always been able to count on her two best friends, Claire and Nate, but can she confide in them now? About this? Would they even believe her?

Life takes a turn for the better when she meets Avan, a darkly handsome new student who, somehow, seems to drown out the voice and make her feel at ease.

But Jade soon comes to realize that good things don’t last forever. When everything spirals out of control, she is shattered by something she never saw coming. Dazed and despairing, she must now overcome tragedy and embrace her true existence and a new but dangerous love. Will she be able to save herself and those she loves, before it’s too late? Or will she let the surrounding darkness consume her?


ABOUT:
Lucy Swing lives in sunny Florida with her husband and two children.

She is a YA Paranormal/ Romance writer, whose works include: Feathermore #1 (Feathermore Trilogy), Bloody Valentine, the novella, and Bloody Valentine is also offered in "Death by Chocolate," an anthology consisting of 6 fantastic YA short stories with a chocolaty twist.

She is an absolute book hoarder and must always have a book at arms distance. Music is her muse, and there is always a soundtrack that plays along her life.

For more information on Lucy Swing please visit her website:
http://www.LucySwing.com

GRAND PRIZE GIVEAWAY
Signed paperback copy of Feathermore and a winged necklace. The giveaway will run until Sunday, March 25, 5 p.m. EST. (US Only.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Nikki for having me here today. You're the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete