Monday, March 26, 2012

The Review Team: Good Choice Reading

Now Presenting:  
  

Good Choice Reading is a book review site with 3124 members and counting. 
What is especially unique about GCR is the site is run by a team of four women who have another four guest reviewers in reserve. I imagine between the EIGHT of them, they cover a lot of pages!

Without further ado, here’s Wanda.

What country (or state) do you blog from?

Good Choice Reading is located in the USA. The founder Damaris is located in New Jersey, Maria and I are in New York and Amanda lives in the Midwest.

On average, how many books do you read?

I can read between 1-2 books a week. It mostly depends on the book. If it's a fast paced book. I can read it within 2 days tops. But if the book is slow paced then it can take a good 3-5 days.

What is your ratio of books personally chosen to review vs. solicited by publishers and authors?

At Good Choice Reading, I believe the majority is solicited by publishers and authors. However we do take a time out to read our pleasure reads. 

Ratio of agented authors vs. indies?

We are pretty much 50/50.

Ratio of physical books vs. e-books?

I tend to read more e-books. Most publishing houses now send out e-arc's of their novels for review and it's cheaper for indie authors to send out their books through e-books. However I do love the feel of a physical book in my hands.  
Where do you enjoy reading most?

As funny as this sound, I enjoy reading my book during a bubble bath. After a long day at work and taking care of my son, my body deserves to unwind and I take that relaxing time to read my book. And also on my way to work on the train in the morning.

Tell us about your review group in three sentences or less.

That's easy. The GCR girls love to share the love for reading. And most of all, we work hard to keep our authors, publishing houses and followers happy.

What would you like to see authors doing more of in their novels?

There really isn't much I can say, write what you know and make your book believable.

What turns you off of a book most?

Funny you should ask, Damaris and I were discussing this the other day. She says she doesn't like instant love. They meet and fall in love. As for me, I don't like reading about immaturity. I read a book recently that had two brothers bickering back and forth during a do or die situation. But my biggest turn off is a HUGE cliffhanger. As in the main character dying at the end. But will somehow mysteriously be alive in the next book.

What would you do if a friend asked you to review their book and you didn’t enjoy it?

That's a toughy because during these past 2 years, GCR has made many author friends. But we try to be as honest as we can without hurting their feelings. 

List a few of your favorite books in the past year.

This is my favorite question. Divergent by Veronica Roth is OMG good! Eve by Anna Carey. Haven by Kristi Cook. Bloodspell by Amalie Howard. Reunion by Jeff Bennington. Unlovable by Sherry Gammon. The Duff by Kody Keplinger. Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia. That's just a few. I have some more.
What do you love most about reading?

For me reading is like taking a vacation in my head. If the story is well written I get lost in the book and I become a silent character.

Are you currently accepting book for review? If yes, what are you open to?

GCR is currently open for reviews. But since we get review requests by the dozen, we are very selective with the ones we choose. I am also very selective. Right now for me, I'm kind of in a YA, paranormal, dystopian kick. I'm currently reading a dystopian. 

How has reading changed your life?

Reading literally has opened my eyes to the beauty around me. Now I may sound corny, but I see buildings with character and certain trees look more beautiful to me. Everything to me has a story. And I want to read and learn about it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me/GCR on today Nikki. That means a whole lot to spread our love of books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda: Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

    I heart book bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the interview but I'm so sad that Montana is empty in the USA bookcase pic : (

    Sounds like you guys have a great group going! Keep up the good work and great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan: So is Washington. And don't even get me started on the missing Alaska shelf. Lame!

    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you interviewing reviewers and authors from different states? I know someone from Ohio. That state seems empty. I loved being interviewed. Makes someone look deeper into themselves. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete